One of the common reasons why UTIs are triggered is because of sex. However, UTIs are not contagious, and you do not need to stop having sex as UTI's can be prevented. Generally, the anatomy and the possible contact of bacteria to the urinary tract can sometimes cause a UTI.
What Is Honeymoon Cystitis?
The word "cystitis" means inflammation of the bladder. In most cases, it's prompted by a UTI. However, in some extreme cases, it could be chronic inflammation of a bladder or hypersensitivity of a bladder that's chosen to reveal itself at the wrong time.
Honeymoon cystitis typically arises when a woman has sex for the first time or has abstained from sex after a long period of time. It is more frequent among women in their 20s but can also happen to older women returning to the dating scene. Honeymoon cystitis occurs during sex; when E.coli bacteria (located often around the anus) is transferred to your urethra via your partner's fingers or penis.
Why Can Sex Trigger UTIs? What Are the Causes?
Studies have shown that an active sex life increases the likelihood of a UTI. This makes sense when you find out what bacteria is the culprit behind most infections. The reason that sex increases UTIs is because the physical activity causes a woman's urethra to come in contact with bacteria from the genitals and the anus that can travel up into the urinary system and cause an infection. In fact, nearly 80% of premenopausal women with a UTI had sex within the past 24 hours!
Who Can Get a UTI After Sex and Why?
Some females find that a sudden increase in sex prompts a UTI flare-up. Women are more prone to troublesome UTIs than males, as the urethra is closer to the anus, and a female's urinary tract is shorter than those of a male. This makes it easier for bacteria to travel to the bladder and potentially cause an infection.
It's unlikely for a man to develop a UTI from having sex with a woman as the infection is typically from bacteria already in the man's urinary tract.
Is It Safe to Have Sex With Someone Who Has a UTI?
The symptoms associated with UTIs are naturally irritating and incredibly painful. But, that doesn't mean that sex is off the table! You can have sex when you have a UTI; however, it can increase your urinary tract's irritation from the infection. You cannot 'catch' a UTI from a person who has one, as bacteria that cause them are not transferred from one sexual partner to another.
Some General Tips to Prevent UTIs Associated With Sex
- Clear your bladder (if possible) by urinating before and/or after sex.
- Clean your genital areas before sex.
- Ask a doctor about contraceptive options: some who have allergies to condoms or diaphragms get frequent UTIs.
- Wash hands before manual stimulation: this will not prevent UTIs completely but can help decrease the risk of inadvertently introducing bacteria into the urethra.
- Stay hydrated as much as possible throughout the day.
- Don't use any spermicides during intimacy.
- Take proven supplements to help prevent UTIs such as Utiva Cranberry PACs, which is recommended to take 2 capsules the day of intercourse and 2 capsules the day after.
“Very impressed with this product. In the previous year, I’d had 13 UTI’s and i was taking a cranberry supplement and had been on countless prescribed meds. I started this product the day I received it a few months ago and things have turned around. I am delighted with this product.”
When Should I See a Doctor?
Do you have any of the following UTI symptoms?
- Strong and frequent urge to urinate;
- Pain or a burning sensation when you pee;
- Cloudy, bloody, or strong-smelling urine;
- Fever and chills;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Feeling very tired or shaking;
- Muscle aches, abdominal pain, or lower back pain
If you notice any symptoms, you can use Utiva UTI Test Strips to check in the comfort of your home quickly. These are the same type of tests that most doctors and labs use to diagnose a UTI. Utiva UTI Test Strips check for Leukocyte (white blood cells) and Nitrite (presence of E.coli), which are both things that signal if you have a UTI and give you results in just 2 minutes.
If there is a sign for a UTI, please consult your physician immediately.